A brief history of the society
The first formal step to establish a national ecological society was taken on February 18 1959 when a meeting of Canberra ecologists unanimously carried a resolution that "an ecological group be formed in Canberra with the objective of stimulating the formation of similar groups in other centres and the eventual amalgamation of all such groups into a national ecological society". The meeting was chaired by Dr Milton Moore who was Assistant Chief of the CSIRO Division of Plant Industry, who was responsible for the Division's programs in agronomy and ecology.
Download (below) the complete copy of:
Ecological Society of Australia: The First 25 years by Ralph Slatyer and Alison Saunders
Ecosystem Dynamics Group, Research School of Biological Sciences,
The Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200