Public policy and outreach
The ESA's Constitution commits it to engaging with matters of public policy, particularly in: "promoting the application of ecological principles to the development, utilisation and conservation of natural resources" and "advising governmental and other agencies in matters where the application of ecological principles may be relevant to their planning and decision making processes".
As part of this work, the ESA engages with public policy consultations and matters of public interest that are relevant to ecology. The ESA has a Policy Working Group that coordinates the Society's response to policy consultations and engagement with policymakers. We also encourage our members to have their say on issues relevant to their expertise, and to submit 'Hot Topics' that are relevant to environmental policy development, land management and to broadening the community's ecological knowledge base.
Below you will find past submissions or statements made by the ESA. If you'd like to know more about the ESA's Public Policy and Outreach work please contact our Vice-President (Public Policy and Outreach) Dr Bek Christensen.
Public policy consultations
- Submission to the Inquiry into funding Australia's research (June 2018)
- Submission to the Targeted review to find ways to better support farmers under national environmental law (June 2018)
- Submission on the draft of Australia's strategy for nature 2018-2030 (March 2018)
- Submission on the Tax Deductible Gift Recipient Reform Opportunities Discussion Paper (August 2017)
- Submission on the Innovation and Science Australia 2030 Strategic Plan: Issues Paper (May 2017)
- Submission on the Draft 2016 National Research Infrastructure Roadmap (January 2017)
- Submission on the 2016 National Research Infrastructure Roadmap Capability Issues Paper (September 2016)
- House of Representatives Standing Committee on Climate Change, Environment and the Arts Parliamentary Inquiry into the Impact of Climate Change on Australian Biodiversity, ESA Submission (2011) and report from then ESA President Prof Kris French's invited appearance at a public hearing interview (28 March 2012)
- Submission on the Draft National Biodiversity Strategy (2010 - 2020) (May 2009)
Public Statements and Letters
- ESA to Minister Groom regarding the Tasmanian land clearing laws (2017)
- ESA to Premier Berejiklian regarding feral horses in Kosciuszko National Park (2017)
- 'Scientists’ declaration: accelerating forest, woodland and grassland destruction in Australia.’ (2016)