Closes 30 April 2021
Australian Wildlife Conservancy (AWC) is seeking a highly motivated Wildlife Ecologist to join our team of ecologists responsible for implementing AWC’s science program in South-east Australia. A particular focus of this position will be managing our program at Yookamurra, a 5000 ha wildlife sanctuary in the Murray Mallee, supporting a number of threatened mammal populations in an 1100 ha fenced feral predator-free area.
A PhD in ecology or a related field is essential for appointment to the Wildlife Ecologist position (consideration will be given to appointment at the Senior Field Ecologist level for candidates without a PhD but substantial relevant experience). The successful applicant will have the capacity to design, implement, interpret and communicate ecological surveys and research projects, and should have demonstrated capacity to lead a small team of ecologists in the field.
Key duties of the Wildlife Ecologist include:
- Contribute to the development, implementation and reporting of AWC’s science program in the South-east, particularly Yookamurra. Major tasks in the science program include ecological monitoring, the reintroduction of locally-extinct species, and ecological research.
- Work in an integrated way with AWC operations staff to design and implement conservation and land management strategies.
- Work effectively with key stakeholders, including government agencies, threatened species recovery teams and other conservation entities, the local community and Indigenous interests.
- Communicate AWC’s science program to the scientific community and to the public through publications, reports, presentations, participation in workshops, etc.
- Assist with AWC’s education, communication and fundraising activities.This is a great opportunity to join the science program of Australia’s largest non-government conservation organisation and to make a strong contribution to our nationally-significant applied ecology program.
Enquiries only: Helen Crisp, Regional Ecologist SE | Helen.Crisp@
Applications via: australianwildlife.org/work-
To submit an application, visit our careers page (linked above), select the relevant job vacancy, click ‘APPLY’ and follow the prompts.
Your application must include CV and covering letter, briefly addressing the critical competencies listed in the detailed job description on our website or attached. Applications that do not meet these requirements will not be accepted.
A downloadable pdf is available here.