James Cook University (JCU) is an international University, which is recognized as a leading tertiary institution in Australia and is in the top 2% of universities in the world. JCU is inviting applications from eligible candidates for PhD scholarships under the Research Training Program (RTP) and James Cook University Postgraduate Research Stipends (JCUPRS) schemes.
College of Science and Engineering is one of the 6 Colleges of JCU and is the home of JCU’s expertise in Marine Biology, Zoology, Aquaculture, Engineering, Physical Sciences, Earth Science, and Environmental Management, which forms a strong grouping, uniquely placed to tackle the grand challenges facing the world, both fundamental research and application.
Zoology and Ecology emphasises a diverse range of intellectual disciplines including zoology, ecology, botany, behaviour and evolutionary biology, within a diverse range of terrestrial habitats. The program provides graduates with the skills required to observe, explore and understand the biological world in all its diversity. Build your zoology and ecology tool-kit at James Cook University (JCU), join the scientific community, and make a global impact.
College of Science and Engineering is inviting applications for PhD Scholarships from both domestic and international students in any of the following Zoology and Ecology areas:
· Conservation Biology/Ecology
· Behavioural Ecology
· Global Climate Change Biology
· Invasive Species Biology
· Restoration Ecology
· Population Genetics
· Speciation Processes
· Plant and Animal Physiology
· Species Population Monitoring and Management.
List supervisors in Zoology and Ecology
Value and benefits
– The PhD stipend for 2021 is approximately $28,500 per annum (non-taxable) for up to 3.5 years with fully paid tuition fees, up to 4 years. College of Science and Engineering also will pay top-up scholarships and/or Overseas Students Health Cover (value $3500) to the top-ranked JCU scholarship candidates.
– As a student in the college, you are eligible to apply for the Competitive Research Training Grant.
– Sick, maternity and parenting leave are covered.
Applicants must have one of the following:
– A research Master’s degree
– A coursework Masters’ degree, or graduate diploma, which includes a research project or thesis of 6 months full time equivalent in duration
– The equivalent of an Australian Honours Degree in the relevant area of research
Selection for scholarships is based on academic performance, paid/unpaid professional experience and published/accepted peer reviewed publications. Only the top-ranked applicants in a scholarship round will be offered a Scholarship.
If your native language is not English you are required to demonstrate your English language proficiency (Band 2 or higher).
For more information on PhD Eligibility requirements please visit the web.
Application closing date
Applications for 2021 Scholarships close on 30 September 2020. Applicants can apply for candidature only (without a scholarship) at any time during the year
How to apply
1. Do you have a research project and a Primary Advisor in mind with whom you would like to work? If not, you will need these before you apply. You can contact a relevant academic staff member directly from the Zoology and Ecology staff list. https://www.jcu.edu.au/college-of-science-and-engineering/meet-our-acade…
2. Establish contact with your preferred Advisor to confirm that they agree to take on the role. Simply approach them by email in the first instance. Include your CV, past academic record, and relevant employment history.
3. If you can’t find a suitable supervisor, you can complete an expression of interest (https://www.jcu.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/296111/EXP-FORM-01-Up…) for a Higher Degree by Research and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org who will liaise with a suitable PhD Supervisor and will get back to you. Please ensure that you have attached your CV along with the EOI.
Once your prospective Advisor has agreed to take on the role, complete APP-FORM-01 Higher Degree by Research Application Form https://www.jcu.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/225995/APP-FORM-01-FI… with your prospective Advisor(s) and ensure that you have the required documentation ready. https://www.jcu.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/245192/CHECKLIST-FOR-…
Visit the Graduate Research School website (https://www.jcu.edu.au/graduate-research-school/how-to-apply) for more information. Go to the Doctor of Philosophy course page and from under the Handbook select either: Doctor of Philosophy (Natural and Physical Sciences) OR Doctor of Philosophy (Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies)
Complete an online application through our Online Application Portal. https://secure.jcu.edu.au/eStudent/S1/eApplications/eAppLogin.aspx?f=%24…
For further information please contact: email@example.com